Monday, July 12, 2010

Tragedy for BaGhana BaGhana



























































Yep. I’m sorry but that was just low, Suárez. Suárez has now turned into a bit of a swear around here … and I’m doing my best to make sure it stays that way!

But first, work. I had to be at work early again for Purple Heart business coaching. Today I was with a team of two (Patrick and Sipho). I really love this business coaching; it’s always something new! We were reviewing their inventory levels which were quite low (they had sold out of several items). I was trying to explain how to calculate when to re-order by looking at average order volumes between the days that they ordered, etc., and found that they were resistant to ordering more stock. I asked why, and it turns out they were so concerned with paying back the initial loan for the inventory that they had essentially lost sight of the trees for the forest. Muy interesante.

I spent the rest of the day at work frantically working on this RFP. I was so sleep-deprived that I went the whole day thinking I’d managed to lose my phone between the gym and the office (even heading back to the gym to look for it), only to find the darn thing in plain sight in the back seat of my car (NO IDEA how it got there). I was so tired that I could focus on only one thing and that was work. It scares me sometimes how I get into a bit of a marketing zone sometimes and everything I write just comes together. Kate, if you’re reading this I know you know what I’m talking about!

At one point my coworker came over to say hi, and oh by the way Wines with heart needs a business plan as well so I needed to talk to the guy who ran that. I was so much in the RFP zone that I didn’t even really process this. I actually tried to unload it on someone else later that afternoon (I failed miserably), and that was when I realised my work level might actually be approaching my maximum capacity because when I try to pass off a business plan that has to do with the wine industry something is seriously wrong!!

Yeah so anyway I unfortunately missed the Brazil-Netherlands game because I was stuck helping my co-worker brainstorm how to finish his sections (he was actually meant to write most of this but he got pulled into end of month status reporting meetings all day). Actually I saw the last 2 minutes of it. Shocker. Netherlands. Wow.

After a quick dinner I joined my friend and some of her friends at the Mexican Shebeen where we had a table reserved. In terms of intensity of emotion, this match was second only to the Bafana Bafana games (someone clever had come up with the BaGhana BaGhana slogan, so we of course were all into that). One of the things I remember most clearly from this was discussing our dearly hated (well, not anymore but at that point) Diego Forlán, specifically his hair. This girl at the table behind us at one point yelled out “Fuck you Forlán! You look like a parrot!” Something about the way she said this with her Afrikaans accent made it one of the funniest things I had heard in a great long while. Now the thing about Forlán is that he’s a pretty boy, and he wouldn’t be pretty if it weren’t for that hair. Not that I’m complaining – I think I’ve watched more Uruguay games than any other team, so it’s not bad to have a pretty boy striker to look at (never mind that I don’t care for pretty boys in real life). But yeah … parrot.

So unless you’ve been living under a rock this past week, you will know that Luis Suárez blocked a would-be goal by Ghana and then Asamoah Gyan missed the penalty kick, and Uruguay won the game on penalty kicks. I tell you my heart just broke for Gyan when he missed that goal and I think that image of him trying to hide tears after that miss is one of the iconic moments of the World Cup. Ouch … so after the game the air just went out of the place and almost everyone left, leaving beers half-drunk. It was that bad. I remember we were all hugging each other, and then this one guy gave me a big hug and then immediately asked me if I wanted to dance. Yep, Cape Town during World Cup.

Never one to abuse alcohol, I did finish my beer before heading back home to sleep. Oh, and I actually had a beer confiscated by the police on the way home! He probably wanted to drink it to console himself, and I actually didn’t really want to be drinking it anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment