Friday, December 31, 2010

2011, here we come!





“When you breathe, you inhale and exhale, but every single time that you do that you’re a little bit different than the one before. We’re always changing. And it’s important to know there are some changes you can’t control and others that you can.” (from Dan Dunne, Half Nelson, apparently)

2010 was an interesting year. If I woke up in 2009, I actually got out of bed in 2010. In 2011, well, usually after getting out of bed I do a CrossFit workout so there, 2011 is going to be pretty intense!

So, a look back on 2010:
• Q1 in which I sprained my ankle, found heart, got completely smashed at a far-too-cold green dress run that is still one of my favourite hashes ever, and two boys named Mike inadvertently changed my life
• Q2 in which I moved to Africa and first walked in the door at heart and at Cape CrossFit. Enough said.
• Q3 in which I found my role at heart, started to develop new skills and become more self-aware.
• Q4 in which I learned I am not indestructible, witnessed how extreme pain and a burning platform can sometimes be exactly what is needed to break through a plateau and move on; exercised some extreme self-restraint in some areas and relaxed it in others, and travelled to the States, twice.

I’ve always thought resolutions were silly the same way I didn’t like goals. I’ve rethought goals, but not so much resolutions. You can’t just change yourself overnight, like paleo isn’t a diet it’s a lifestyle, and part of that is that you must understand the rules to choose to break them, but you can’t sustain something that’s impossible for you to sustain. Although yeah I could go through life without eating Doritos again, but maybe, just maybe, I’ll want a double-chocolate cookie that wasn’t made with almond meal. Or a latte, even though my body doesn’t like it.

I’ve found that it’s most sustainable for me to be very strict in certain areas for a limited period of time rather than trying to do it “forever” or something like that. And I already know what I need more of: sleep, planning, balance maybe?, and less of: anything non-paleo, including alcohol. I have a couple of types of competitions in the first two months of the year, and there is nothing like a goal or a deadline to focus the mind.

I will re-list here the great blog post I put on facebook from CFNE. Says it all, really.

So, no resolutions. Except the ones I need for the resolution swap at the hash Sunday. I am unreasonably excited for this, actually, bring it on!

2010 has ended for me with a bit of a whimper. I think I kicked my third illness in a row yesterday (sinus infection of some sort) but I still don’t feel strong enough today that working out hard is a good idea. The last few days I’ve spent staying out quite late (with friends watching Scotty D at Hennessy’s Tuesday night and can I just say that Scotty makes Counting Crows sound way better than they ever did!, then with Rob & Christian in the North End Wednesday night, and with a couple of girlfriends in Fanueil Hall last night).

Great dinner conversation before live music last night. I love Boston, I really do, part of my heart will always be here and who knows, I may be back some day. And I have some amazing people in my life.

I bought a new camera (which actually takes awesome night and low-light photos!), some Apple products for a friend, and homebrew supplies for another. This was funny I had such a cold when I went in there that I was commenting on the cherry grain and the guy told me I could smell it even with a cold and I could smell NOTHING.

So I may not be going to an end of the world party, and I may not have closed out the year with the Filthy Fifty (stupid, STUPID illness) but if I’m smarter than I am stupid I will be ready to take on the world tomorrow and the rest of the year. Goodness knows I will need to be strong for that; but then again so will we all. 2011 is going to be an amazing year, but also a really tough one. You can’t change that, all you can do is set your intention, decide how you are going to approach it, and manifest the world around you the way that you want. Just: be careful what you wish for and be very sure you actually want it. As I saw on my friend’s blog recently the following quote: “That it will come again is what makes life so sweet.” – Emily Dickinson


“So tell me about your diet. Do you want some bread?” – Christian
“It looks innocent enough.” – guy at Sichuan Gourmet, about the Gingu fish filet
“It’s the mark of a very, very young soul to try and fix the world.” — Chuck Palahniuk
“im a problem that will never ever b solved.” – D
‎"Americans will always do the right thing, after they've tried everything else." -Winston Churchill

No comments:

Post a Comment