Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Paleo stuffed zucchini flowers



















At the market on Saturday I saw the most beautiful zucchini (courgette) flowers, so I decided to buy them, irrespective of the fact that the only recipes I had ever seen for stuffed zucchini flowers involved either ricotta cheese, or flour (for battering & frying) or both. Courgette is a much better name than zucchini, don’t you think? Anyway undeterred, I decided to figure out how to make paleo zucchini flowers, and with only what I had on hand. What I wound up doing turned out awesome, so I figured I’d post here to help the next person who does a Google search for a recipe. Essentially, I made rice-less, cheese-less mushroom risotto and used that to stuff the zucchini flowers, drizzled in olive oil and baked alongside the yellowtail I was having for dinner.

• Zucchini flowers (with or without baby zucchinis at the end!)
• 1 small onion
• Garlic to taste (I used 3 cloves)
• 2 mushrooms (I used white button because it’s what I had)
• ½ t Dried porcini powder (soaked dried porcinis would obviously also work)
• ½ t dried thyme
• ½ t dried parsley
• Olive oil
Mince the onion, and cook in olive oil until soft. Meanwhile mince the garlic and mushrooms, then add to the onion, along with porcini powder, thyme, and parsley. You could probably also add salt & pepper if you wanted. Butter would work as well to cook these things if you’re not as strictly paleo.

Wash the zucchini flowers, then gently open each one, stuff with the mixture, close as best you can and lay in a baking dish. Drizzle with olive oil and bake at about 375 F (190 C) for about 15-20 minutes. The filling is already cooked so this is really just to cook the zucchinis if they are attached, and the flowers. If there are no zucchinis you could cook for less time.

No comments:

Post a Comment