Sunday, June 5, 2011

The BEST “borderline paleo” chocolate cake recipe























My coach Jobst’s birthday was last Thursday so I decided to bake a paleo chocolate cake for him. Now, be aware that most of the ingredients here are “borderline” paleo … cacao beans are beans (grrr), and bananas and honey are borderline.

Whatever. You only live once.

I was a bit strung out last week (more on that in a bit) but come bedtime on Wednesday night I was resolved to bake something the next day but I had not made it to the grocery store so I was left with only the ingredients in my kitchen at the time. Thanks to Google and some other people’s blogs, I found a couple of paleo cake/brownie recipes that were similar, my main change from what I found online was to replace the cocoa powder with cacao (not sure what the difference is, haven’t Googled that yet!), reduced the honey, and added salt (because you can’t bake without salt, right?), and the vanilla.

Whoever said you can’t combine vanilla & chocolate is dead wrong.

Ingredients:
• 1/2c coconut oil (this must be in liquid form, so if the weather is cold as it is now, either microwave it or put it in the oven to liquefy it)
• 2 eggs
• 3 bananas (or 4 small ones)
• Seeds from 1 vanilla bean
• 1/2 t salt
• 2-3 T honey
• 1 cup almond flour
• ½ cup cacao powder

Mix the eggs & coconut oil until thoroughly blended. Add other ingredients, stir until smooth. Make sure the bananas are appropriately smashed.

Add to baking pan greased with coconut oil, and bake @190C/375F for 30 minutes or until done.

It’s good both hot and cold. Honestly I prefer it cold, it has a bit more depth of flavour. As an added bonus it makes the entire area smell like chocolate and coconut!

This was my first time baking, that I can recall, since my other coach Roland’s birthday last year. Somehow when Chris’ came around I did not think to bake a chocolate cake, which is weird because he’s the biggest chocolate fan I think I have ever met. But he’s getting his own personal chocolate cake after Regionals so maybe that will make up for it. In any event since I had no idea how the recipe would turn out I made a test cake first for my co-workers. It was unbelievable.

So, today I even baked another two (one for the paleo potluck tomorrow night and one for me and Mona to split … hmm …). We were treated to the most amazing rainbow. Absolutely stunning.

This actually makes a great snack because it’s so high in fat that it acts as a VERY effective appetite suppressant. Plus, I don’t have much of a sweet tooth at all but I go gaga for this thing, probably because it’s not too sweet (something that I hate), and it’s really rich and creamy (something that I love).

Because it’s paleo albeit borderline, you can also eat it without having stomach pains or trashing your body with grains. So viva coconut oil & ground almonds!

• “There is nothing in the world better than chocolate!” – Mona

No comments:

Post a Comment